John Marshall High School first opened its doors on January 26, 1931, with approximately twelve hundred students and forty-eight teachers. Joseph Sniffen, for whom the auditorium was named, served as the first Principal, while Hugh Boyd and Geraldine Keith acted as Marshall’s first Vice-Principals. The football field was named in honor of Mr. Boyd, while the library was named for Mrs. Keith. The school was named after John Marshall, who served as Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835. Known as the Great Chief Justice, John Marshall was the principal architect of the American system of constitutional law. His interpretations of laws are still used as examples today.